Paginas

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mocha Island


Mocha Island is located near the coast of Arauco province, at BioBio Region, Chile, at 34,2 kilometers of Tirua city. The island has 48 square kilometers with a litle mountain at the center; this mountain also has a native forest and it is a protected wild area.
The people at the island are almost all fishermans.
In this island you can find forest, beach, mountain, and if you have time, a little lake.
The only way to get to the island is by an airplane, it cost about $15000, and only one hotel is avaible, but you can stay on a island house, or camp.

A very interesting history it's about a big and dangerous white sperm whale who lives around the island at the begining of XIX century; the hitory says that sperm whale defeat more than 100 hunting attempts.
It was so famous that Herman Melville use as inspiration for his famous novel: Mobi-Dick.

Even today, this sperm whale is famous, all because Herman Melville great-grandson, Richard Melville Hall, also know as Moby.



Back to the island, I can only show you pictures, and you have to make a opinion.


And for the records, I doesn't know the island in person, I'm trying to get some money, and time to visit it, but it's the only place that I really love.

3 comments:

  1. some years ago i stayed on tirua for almost 2 week, and the whole time i want it to go there and i couldn't, from the shore it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow it seems to be beautiful, I never heared about that island in my life, i must be a very uninformed person I guest

    such a bubble world I had xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom is from Arauco and since I remember, she's always talking about this island~ but I never thought it was SO beautiful :DDD thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete